Part of me feels lame for completely giving up on Loonies. But I shouldn't have signed up for it in the first place. I know there are people who can channel the stress in their lives and make sure they don't let their regular workout schedule get disrupted, but I am a backslider. No two ways about it. I have some excuses--all First World problems, I grant you--but I'll take a wasted entry fee as a lesson in big-picture perspective.
The big picture at the current time is this:
- I am 52 years old.
- I am between 25-30 pounds overweight.
- I have not done any serious running since a half-marathon in April.
- I have ridden my bike maybe twice this calendar year.
- I have swum not at all.
- I have not pursued the other sports in which I dabble (tennis) or aspire to dabble (racquetball, rowing).
- I am sending my oldest child to college in a few weeks.
- I'm in grad school.
- Neither my son's nor my college is free.
- My family is moving. And throwing stuff out. And shredding stuff. And giving stuff away. And paying repair people to fix things in the new house and the one we're about to sell.
So running a marathon in July--even one in the dark--is out of the question. And I am almost certain that I will take the refund on an August triathlon I've already signed up for. But a January marathon is just the ticket.